Standard Mental Health First Aid 2-day
The Mental Health First Aid course teaches employees how to recognise the symptoms of different illnesses and mental health crises amongst their staff and colleagues. It upskills an employee on how to effectively offer and provide initial support to people who are developing a mental illness or experiencing a mental health crisis. It is comprehensive, covering all common mental health problems and crisis situations, and it helps guide a person towards appropriate treatments and other supports.
This training can help employers become more proactive in preventing mental health issues becoming a workplace injury, or deliver a best practice ‘early intervention’ approach for those employees who have sustained a work related mental health condition.
Who can attend a MHFA Course?
This course is relevant to people from many different roles, managerial levels, company sizes and industries and is also relevant to you in your personal life. The content is especially beneficial for those in:
- People management roles with direct reports
- Human Resources or Work Health and Safety
- Will be complimenting existing ‘physical’ first aid qualifications
- Have been identified by the organisation to hold a Mental Health First Aider role
- People whose workplace is currently being affected by mental health issues
- Mental health problems in Australia
- Mental Health First Aid action plan
- Mental health illnesses including depression, anxiety problems and psychosis and substance use problems
- Mental health crises or episodes including suicidal thoughts, non-suicidal self-injury, panic attack, traumatic event, severe psychotic state and aggressive behaviour
Participants will be equipped to provide immediate assistance to colleagues who may be developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. You will know if and when you should say something, what you should say and how you can help them and
you will feel much more confident in your ability to have these difficult conversations in the workplace.
Note that employees trained as accredited Mental Health First Aiders are eligible to be as appointed as Mental Health First Aid Officers in the workplace.
The Standard Mental Health First Aid Course has also been endorsed for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points for a number of professions. This includes nurses, pharmacists, fitness instructors, social workers, physiotherapists and others.
Why WPI ?
- Our instructors are trained and accredited by Mental Health First Aid TM Australia, while they understand how to practically apply strategies within companies to manage mental health issues and mitigate risk.
- We will bring our broad expertise to the training program and ensure we include relatable workplace case studies, current issues your business may be experiencing and OHS/RTW management system linkages and implications.
- Our trainers are knowledgeable and engaging – 98.8% of participants strongly agree/ agree WPI instructors have an engaging presentation style.
- With a background in psychology and rehabilitation counselling, applied knowledge and skills are demonstrated through interactive ‘real life’ activities and discussions.
- We can also provide post course support with re-engineering policies and developing internal resources.
This course is not a therapy or support group, rather it is an education course. For more information about MHFA Australia can be found at www.mhfa.com.au
Course participants receive a MHFA manual to keep and are eligible to complete an online exam in order to receive a Mental Health First Aider Certificate of Accreditation valid for 3 years.