- This event has passed.
Face-to-Face | Suicide Alertness for Everyone (safeTALK) | 25 January 2024
January 25 - 9:30 am - 1:00 pm$289.00
safeTALK is a four-hour training that equips people to be more alert to someone thinking of suicide and better able to connect them with further help.
SafeTALK is a half-day training program that teaches participants to recognize and engage persons who might be having thoughts of suicide and to connect them with community resources trained in suicide intervention. SafeTALK stresses safety while challenging taboos that inhibit open talk about suicide. The program recommends that an ASIST-trained resource or other community support resource be at all trainings. The ‘safe’ of safeTALK stands for ‘suicide alertness for everyone’. The ‘TALK’ letters stand for the practice actions that one does to help those with thoughts of suicide: Tell, Ask, Listen, and KeepSafe.
What You Will Learn:
safeTALK participants learn to recognise when someone is thinking about suicide and connect them to an intervention provider, such as a ASIST-trained helper. In this way, safeTALK participants build a safety network around these intervention providers and greatly increase their reach and impact.
- Reflect on how your attitudes and beliefs about suicide affect your intervention role
- Clearly and directly discuss suicide
- Build a collaborative approach to intervention focused on safe outcomes
- Review immediate suicide risk and develop appropriate safe plans
- Support the person to move towards life and collaboratively formulate a safety plan
- Presentations and guidance from LivingWorks registered trainer
- A scientifically proven intervention model
- Powerful audiovisual learning aids
- Group discussions
- Skills practice and development
- A balance of challenge and safety
What to Expect:
- The program aims to raise suicide awareness
- It challenges participants to examine their own attitudes and beliefs about suicide
- safeTALK teaches how to initiate conversations about suicide
- Videos and activities are used to invite reflection on the role of caregivers and persons with thoughts of suicide
- Our facilitators will endeavour to create and maintain a safe environment for all
- There will be safety measures in place to manage individual psychological safety, including a ‘thumbs up’ rule
- There will be a minimum of one facilitator present during the duration of the program
Date and Time of Live Training: 25 January, 9.30 am-1.00 pm
Location: WorkPlace Interventions, Level 11/456 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne CBD
Important Participant Information:
- You will receive your safeTALK hard copy manual at the scheduled course.
- Note pads, pens and handouts are all provided during the course.
- You can enjoy complimentary T2 tea options and Nespresso coffee, along with access to high-speed Wi-Fi and the amenities of a 5-star lounge and kitchen facilities.
Why Choose WorkPlace Interventions
Beyond the standard curriculum, our renowned subject matter experts ensure a transformative learning experience. Recognised for making training engaging, relevant, and, enjoyable, our experts prioritise your needs, ensuring a difference in your learning journey. Book with us and let our engaging approach, applicability, and expertise elevate your understanding of workplace mental health.
Private Workshops: For those preferring a closed session, we can organise an online or face-to-face private workshop for your team. Contact us at [email protected] for more information.